Saturday, August 23, 2014

#30 Cascade Wet Hop IPA - Recipe

Recipe     -     Brewday     -     Tasting

The other day I was looking for brewing equipment on craigslist when I stumbled upon a guy offering free homegrown Cascade hops.  My brewing schedule is already jam packed with a quad, a wheat, 2 batches of blackberry wine, and a blackberry saison all in various stages of production, but I can't say no to fresh hops.  Few brewers have the opportunity to brew with fresh picked hops unless they live in the Pacific Northwest, so I had to take him up on the offer.  Thanks Phil!



To showcase the hops, I put together a pretty straightforward IPA recipe (as if I haven't brewed enough hoppy beers lately).  Hops are normally dried for storage, so they weigh considerably less than freshly picked "wet" hops.  I've read that you should use 4 to 6 times the weight in wet hops to get the same flavor intensity as dried hops.  For this batch, I wrote a recipe in units I was comfortable with (i.e. hops by dry weight), then on brewday I'll multiply the hop weights by 5 to get my actual measurements.

I added a little English crystal and dark caramel malts to a base of Great Western 2-row in hopes that just a touch of sweetness would compliment the juicy flavor of the fresh Cascades.  Last but not least, yeast: I chose the Guinness yeast since that's what I have on hand from the wheat ale, plus I loved it in the Irish red and have been wanting to try it in a hoppy beer.


Cascade Wet Hop IPA
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.25 gal
Estimated ABV: 6.6 %
Estimated OG: 1.067 SG
Estimated FG: 1.017 SG
Estimated Color: 9.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 52.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 77.4 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt          Name                                     %/IBU
14 lbs       Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)           94.1 %
8.0 oz       Carastan - 30-37L (35.0 SRM)             3.4 %
6.0 oz       Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM)   2.5 %
0.75 oz      Columbus [16.10 %] - First Wort Hop      35.1 IBUs
2.00 oz x 5  Wet Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min     17.6 IBUs
3.00 oz x 5  Wet Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min      0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg      Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084)            -
1.00 oz      Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days      0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz      Columbus [16.10 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days    0.0 IBUs


Mash Schedule: Single Infusion 152F 60min, Mash Out 160F 20 min Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 14 lbs 14.0 oz
Estimated Cost: $28.79

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...