Saturday, August 9, 2014

#27 Classic American Wheat - Brewday

Recipe     -     Brewday     -     Tasting

This brewday started off a bit later than usual, but I actually finished in record time, six and a half hours.  I undershot my mash temp by a sizable margin, all the way down at 145F, but I want this one to come out dry anyway, so I decided this wasn't a big deal and let it ride.  With the 160F mash out to kick start the a-amylase, I assumed I would get full conversion anyway.  I ended up with low efficiency (63%) so maybe the low temperature had something to do with it, or maybe the cool (159F sparge) didn't help either, I don't know.  My roommate Chris joined me as I got ready to sparge, helping clean things, which really accelerated the end of the brewday.  As I said, efficiency was low leading to an OG of only 1.045, but this is still well within the scope of the style.


Fermentation:
30 sec. O2, yeast pitched at 66F, set in fridge at 66F

2 Days:  Actively fermenting.  There wasn't much headspace so there's some blowoff.  Temp bumped up to 70F for the blackberry wine.

2 Weeks:  Racked to keg.  Gravity down to 1.007.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...