Sunday, August 24, 2014

#30 Cascade Wet Hop IPA - Brewday

Recipe     -     Brewday     -     Tasting

I really try to keep my beer costs as low as possible; I'm a brewer on a budget!  So when I found out I could get 30 oz of fresh Cascade hops, I knew I had to strike while the iron was hot.  Unfortunately I have too many irons in the fire because I had to brew it on the same day as the blackberry saison.


The mash went pretty well, but I ended up with a bit too much water, so I extended the boil by abut 20 min.  Then when it was time to add the first dose of hops, I missed the timer.  I decided to extend the boil again, to maintain the timing on the late hop additions.


After an hour and 40 minute boil, I ended up w only 4.3 gal of wort in the fermenter, so I had to add a bit of top up water.  That brought the SG down to 1.060 which was lower than planned, but that's not a big deal for this beer.

Fermentation:
30 sec O2, yeast pitched at 66, placed in fridge at 68F.

7 Days: Looks done fermenting, added dry hops.

13 Days:  Racked to keg.  I didn't cold crash, so siphoning was a pain.  FG is only down to 1.018 which is much higher than I expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...