Friday, January 23, 2015

#40 Denny Conn's Bourbon Vanilla Porter - Recipe

Recipe     -     Brewday     -     Tasting

I love stouts and porters, but the only one I've brewed this winter was the export stout that came out way too carbonated.  I would think that would be something I would always have on hand, but as it turns out, the last successful stout was the dry Irish stout I did for last St. Patrick's Day.  It's about time I changed that.

There are lots of things I want to try, but the recipe I settled on is Denny Conn's Bourbon Vanilla Porter recipe.  Denny Conn is something of a homebrewing legend, author of a few homebrewing books, and a member of the AHA governing committee.  His recipes have made the rounds of the internet as they are made specifically for the homebrew scale.  This one caught my eye when I first started brewing--as did descriptions of his favorite yeast, Wyeast 1450--so it's been on my to do list for awhile.

The recipe itself is a bold robust porter, with vanilla bean and a touch of bourbon added to secondary.  I love big barrel aged beers (as does everybody apparently) so if I can make something comparable and save the $12 a bottle, I'll be a happy camper.  I have no thoughts to add on the recipe composition since it's not mine, the only tweak is to use hops I have on hand and scale it up to 8 gal so I can do a split batch to try the Wyeast 1450 head to head against good old Chico.


Denny Conn's Bourbon Vanilla Porter
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 8.00 gal
Estimated ABV: 8.2 %
Estimated OG: 1.078 SG
Estimated FG: 1.016 SG
Estimated Color: 37.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 31.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Boil Time: 120 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt            Name                                     %/IBU
17 lbs 8.0 oz  Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)           64.2 %
4 lbs          Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)                    14.7 %
2 lbs          Brown Malt (65.0 SRM)                    7.3 %
1 lbs 12.0 oz  Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)               6.4 %
1 lbs 6.0 oz   Caramel/Crystal Malt - 120L (120.0 SRM)  5.0 %
10.0 oz        Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)    2.3 %
1.00 oz        Columbus [16.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min       27.2 IBUs
1.00 oz        Willamette [7.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min      4.6 IBUs
1.0 pkg        American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)         -
1.0 pkg        Denny's Favorite (Wyeast Labs #1450)     -
3.00 Items     Vanilla Bean (Secondary 14.0 days)       -
12.00 oz       Bourbon (Bottling)                       -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion @150F, No Mash Out, 2x Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 27 lbs 4.0 oz
Estimated Cost: $63.92

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...