Friday, January 2, 2015

#39 Willamette Session Ale - Recipe

Recipe     -     Brewday     -     Tasting

With four days off for new years, I can't think of a better way to celebrate than by brewing more beer.  Unfortunately after coming back from Christmas I don't have any yeast ready to go.  That means I'll have to brew a small beer so I can use a yeast pack without making a starter.  Most of the things I have on my to-brew list require a lot of yeast--pilsner, kolsch, IPA, vanilla bourbon porter--so I'll use this batch to build up a healthy pitch for that porter.

The recipe here is built around the grain bill I used in the session IPA I brewed this summer.  The hops and malt flavors were both bold and tasty on their own, but didn't seem to fit well together.  I basically scaled the malt bill up to 6 gallons (with the victory and carastan malts rounded up) so I could split it in half for two different yeasts.  I want to try Wyeast 1450 Denny's Favorite 50 in the porter, and as always, I like to have a baseline when trying a new yeast, so I'll do the other half with good old Chico.

After that I'll throw in a bit of Willamete hops.  Like Cascade, I'm not worried about Willamette overwhelming the beer.  The earthy/citrusy mix should go well with the malt and yeast here, plus it gives me a chance to learn a bit about one hop on its own.  I used just Willamette in the parti-gyle bitter and barleywine, but the bitter went quick and I still haven't bottled the barleywine, so it's good to take another look while I have a pound of the stuff.


Willamette Session Ale
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal
Estimated ABV: 3.6 %
Estimated OG: 1.039 SG
Estimated FG: 1.011 SG
Estimated Color: 6.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 34.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt           Name                                     %/IBU
4 lbs 8.0 oz  Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)           45.0 %
3 lbs 8.0 oz  Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)                    35.0 %
12.0 oz       Carastan - 30-37L (35.0 SRM)             7.5 %
12.0 oz       Victory Malt (25.0 SRM)                  7.5 %
8.0 oz        Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)                   5.0 %
1.00 oz       Willamette [7.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min      21.2 IBUs
1.00 oz       Willamette [7.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min      12.9 IBUs
1.00 tsp      Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 mins)          -
1.00 Items    Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins)        -
1.00 oz       Willamette [7.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min       0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg       American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)         -
1.0 pkg       Denny's Favorite (Wyeast Labs #1450)     -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion 60min @ 156F, Mash Out, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 10 lbs
Estimated Cost: $30.50

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...